Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Book Review - Glimmerglass - YA

Glimmerglass by Jenna Black
Published by St. Martin's Griffin
294 pages



I don't normally enjoy Faerie books. Maybe I'm too simple but it gets difficult reading names like Fafnir and Hreidmar and trying to keep up with who's who.

I enjoyed Jenna Black's Glimmerglass very much, though. It was an easy read, and the pace kept moving along nicely. It did feel just tad dumbed-down, and the characters could have been a bit more fleshed out and the writing a little tighter, but I've bumped up from a 3.5 to a 4 just because I enjoyed the fresh (to my eyes) storyline.

Sixteen-year-old Dana Hathaway is a disgruntled teenager with an alcoholic mom. She's determined to leave her mom and find her Fae father whom she has never before met. Unknown to her, though, she is coveted property in Avalon, the city in which her dad lives and Faerie can be entered through. She never knew she was a Faeriewalker, one who can walk both worlds, and a political asset to the one who can control her.


I thought the characters were likeable or despicable, as the author meant them to be, and each had an interesting story to be told.  We haven't really gotten into Faerie in this book, so there's something to look forward to in the next book.

The ending left me looking forward to the next installment in the series, Shadowspell. I'm hoping Dana can explore her new-found role in Avalon and Faerie, and I'm interested in finding out more about Finn and Keane.

No comments:

Post a Comment