Monday, October 18, 2010

Book Review - Downsiders - YA

Downsiders by Neal Shusterman
Published by Simon Pulse
272 pages




There are Topsiders and Downsiders, and never shall the two mix.  Well, at least according to Downsiders.  They live under New York City, in abandoned tunnels and forgotten cavities that once housed subways or theaters that have collapsed.  They feel superior to Topsiders. 

Enter Talon.  He's a young Downsider, curious of Topsider ways.  He meets Lindsay, a Topsider, recently moved to NYC to live with her dad, and everything he has believed about life is shaken.

This book was confusing for the fact the author wrote in third person, and changed the viewpoint so frequently, sometimes I forgot whose POV I was in.  A time or two he changed POVs from one paragraph to the next.  Very disconcerting while reading.  Many times I felt the author went off on a tangent, and I was snapped from the story by that.

I also tire of the teen who never tells an adult things.  All youth seem to keep important secrets from all authority figures.  Sometimes that makes sense, but others, it's just a plot device, and drives me mad.

I read this book about halfway, and then started skimming.  I am a happy-kind-of-ending girl, and this just didn't set well with me.  Others might really enjoy this book, but I had a hard time really feeling for the characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment