Saturday, November 6, 2010

Book Review - Night Runner - YA

Night Runner by Max Turner
Published by St. Martin's Griffin
261 pages




I picked up this book at the library knowing nothing about it.  I am glad I did.

I know, I know, you all have had enough of vampire books lately.  When I began to read it, I didn't even realize that's what it was.

I really enjoyed this book.  Teenaged Zach is a patient at a mental ward for the last eight years; both his parents are dead.  He enjoys his life there, sleeps during the day being allergic to the sun, allergic to food, and his favorite nurse, Nurse Ophelia, in the ward fixes him special smoothies.  He runs for hours at a time on the treadmill and reads.  Until an invincible appearing man crashes into the front of the ward on a motorcycle and tells Zach to run.

Zach was an extremely interesting character.  He had a different voice than anything I've read in a while.  He is a funny character without meaning to be.  He's a contented mental patient, but turns out to be completely normal...just not in the way you'd expect.  I like the way he thinks, and the pages kept turning easily for me. 

Another plus for me was not knowing who to trust.  There was nothing predictable about any of the characters.  Once you thought you had someone figured out, you are thrown for a loop.  I loved the twists in the plot.  A part or two at the ending became a bit gruesome for me, but I am a wimp, and others might not even blink at it.

This is supposed to be the first in an upcoming series, but I noticed this book was written a while back, so I'll have to check if there are others printed in this series.  The ending was satisfying if no other books come out, but enough story left to continue on with Zach's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment